CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ty

Today we had to make a tough decision. After a lot of thought, prayer, and care we decided that it was time for Ty Dye to be 'put down'.

After his last appointment with the vet they found that his kidney levels were better, but not well enough to have the surgery done to remove his teeth. He seemed like he was doing awesome... gaining weight, being more playful and getting back to his normal skittish self. After we came home from Utah he seemed to not eat as much food. We thought that maybe he didn't like the brand, so we switched back to the kind he had after his rehydration at the vet. He would stand at his food/water dishes and just meow. It was sad to watch him not have the will to eat. He continued to loose weight and started to be less and less skittish around Ethan - very unusual for Ty. We decided to call the doctor yesterday and see what they thought. The vet had never seen Ty, but based on his history anything we did would just buy us more time. We felt like it wasn't fair to make Ty suffer, so we said our goodbyes and took him to the vet to be euthanized. We will miss him terribly, but know that he isn't in pain anymore and is in a much better place.

Some fun memories we have of Ty:
- Most people didn't know we had two cats because they only saw Edith. Ty was so skittish that he would stay out-of-sight most of the time. When he did come downstairs, he would sneak around the corner and evaluate the best escape route.
- Ty was a cat from a litter of wild kittens born in Addy's Mom's backyard. When we first tried catching Ty, he bit Addy's finger so hard that she dropped him. He was caught the next time and we quickly discovered that he wasn't vicious, but a lover.
- Ty was always loyal to Edith. She was always so mean to him, but he never stopped trying to be her friend.
- Ty had awesome fangs and claws. He looked like a saber-tooth tiger. We almost named him Diego (after the Saber-tooth in Ice Age), but Ty Dye fit from the pattern on his fur.
- Ty Dye Time. Usually at the end of the day when Ryan and Addy climbed into bed. Ty would hop up on the bed and want to be pet. He would lay by us until we fell asleep and then headed outside for adventure.
- Ty was shy and would cuddle with Ryan and Addy, but he was a fighter outside. While Edith could catch lizards and bugs, Ty was usually the one responsible for the bird messes in the house.
- Ty loved Christmas time and was often found curled up under the Christmas tree.

We will miss you Ty. Thanks for being such a good cat and being patient with a rambunctious toddler and moody cat-mate.


Ty Dye
May 5, 2004 - June 23, 2009

2 comments:

Reese & Christi Jones Family said...

Hi Congratulations! I wondered cause I hadn't heard from you for a while and thats what I did when i was prego. Now that I am moving, I am kinda doing the same. We would love to see you guys, call me or I will call you today! we will make a plan

Reese & Christi Jones Family said...

Sorry, there's more, I am sorry to hear about ty-dye. I know how much you guys loved him. Also I have your movie I need to get to you so don't let me forget!